Public Garden Career Center - View Job
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Posted: Wednesday, August 28, 2013
Department: Horticulture, Full-Time
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Myriad Botanical Gardens is a beautiful and unique 17-acre botanical garden and urban park located in downtown Oklahoma City. In addition to outdoor gardens, the Gardens also feature a 10,000 sq. ft. tropical plant conservatory. The Myriad Gardens Foundation is the 501c (3) private nonprofit organization that manages the Myriad Botanical Gardens. It has an annual operating budget of $4 million and a staff of about 50 full and part-time employees.
In 2009-11, the Gardens underwent a complete transformation thanks to a private and public investment of nearly $45 million which enabled the Gardens to re-envision and redesign the entire outdoor and facility spaces in order to create more open and accessible downtown space with a variety of new facilities, features and garden areas to create a world-class public garden and urban park space.
The exciting design features include: new garden areas including a native plant and lakeside gardens, shady tree groves, a children’s garden, a variety of water features (of which several are interactive for children) a restaurant, a dog park, open air stage and band shell for the performing arts, and a seasonal ice rink.
This position requires a person with landscaping/lawn care experience whose primary function will be to mow, edge, weed eat, clean sidewalks, and pick up trash. They will also be responsible for assisting with other garden related projects throughout the 17 acres such as mulching, cutting back perennials, raking gravel, and weeding. This position is responsible for proper upkeep of fountains, sidewalks and driveways (remove ice, snow, soil, mulch, gravel and spread ice melt where appropriate) and should have a keen eye for detail in order to have the highest level of garden maintenance. This position is physically demanding and requires lifting 100 lbs., walking long distances, and repetitive, physically exerting tasks.
The groundskeeper must be able to use power tools and equipment such as weed eater, riding mower, push mower, blower, and sprayers and will be responsible for their service, repair, adjustments, and maintenance, follow all procedures and guidelines related to safety, safe operation of equipment, and equipment maintenance tasks.
The groundskeeper needs to observe and remember details, establish and meet garden project completion schedules on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis. Employees follow specified procedures in performing single or multi-task assignments, and may work as a member of a crew with other staff or volunteers or work individually. Daily assignments are received verbally and/or in writing from the supervisor. The groundskeeper should have a friendly, polite, service oriented demeanor and interact with the public when appropriate. This position requires flexible hours and working outdoors in inclement weather.
PRIMARY WORK LOCATIONS:
- Outside; continually exposed to heat, cold, humidity, dust, etc.
- Exposed to plant and tree pollens, bee or wasp stings, poison oak, ivy, or sumac and/or other allergy causing agents
- Subject to working on or around slippery surfaces such as wet sidewalks, mud and oil
- Exposed to hazards due to lifting, cleaning, and using tools and/or equipment
- Will work near moving objects such as traffic and equipment
- Exposed to toxins and chemical irritants such as fertilizers, pesticides and herbicides, etc.
- Strength enough to lift, push, pull or carry objects weighing up to 100 pounds such as trash, equipment, and landscape materials – i.e. rock, soil, gravel.
- Stamina enough to exert oneself physically throughout the working day in outdoor conditions.
- Extent flexibility and gross body coordination enough to bend, twist, or reach out to load and unload trucks; etc.
- Near and far vision enough to see oncoming traffic and to use equipment with which one is working.
- Hearing enough to understand a conversation in noisy environment and to determine location of traffic
- Speech enough to communicate clearly and distinctly with co-workers and supervisor
Position: Non-exempt position reporting to Director of Horticulture
Benefits: Medical, Dental , Vision Insurance, and 401K matching
Employment at the Foundation is on an “at will” basis, which means that employment is not for any specific time and may be terminated at will, with or without cause.
To apply: Please send a resume and three letters of recommendation to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Or mail to: Myriad Gardens Foundation, 301 W. Reno, OKC, OK 73102
Job is open until filled.