Public Garden Career Center - View Job
Myriad Botanical Gardens
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Posted: Friday, August 23, 2013
Position Type: Non-Exempt, Full-time
Location: Myriad Botanical Gardens
Myriad Botanical Garden is a 17- acre botanical garden and park in the heart of downtown Oklahoma City. It is home to the Crystal Bridge Tropical Conservatory, a 10,000 sq. foot tropical plant conservatory, and Oklahoma City landmark. In 2010-11, the Gardens underwent a $43 million redesign to include new gardens, activity areas and facilities that include: a Children’s Garden, interactive water features, a Great Lawn and Band shell, restaurant, seasonal ice rink, ponds, dog park, and new classroom facilities.
The redesign of the Myriad Botanical Gardens is part of a larger, long-term comprehensive and innovative urban renewal and quality of life improvement effort for the entire City of Oklahoma that has garnered national awards and attention for its highly successful results.
This position serves as a key member of the Garden’s management team by providing vision, leadership and management of the Myriad Botanical Gardens’ volunteer program
Under general supervision, this position is responsible for effectively and efficiently involving volunteers in meaningful tasks and projects to assist Gardens’ staff in all department areas and ensure volunteers feel appreciated and valued.
This position will accept primary responsibility for planning and managing the overall volunteer program at the Gardens. The Volunteer Coordinator will recruit, hire, train, evaluate, thank/recognize, and schedule volunteers and be the official communicator to and with all volunteers. This position will manage the volunteer database and all records associated with the program. This position will collaborate with all staff to determine volunteer needs and write volunteer job descriptions and recruit, train and schedule for those positions/tasks.
This position will work closely with the Education, Marketing & Communications and Development staff to align the volunteer program with the Gardens’ mission and strategic plans.
This position will accept primary responsibility for planning and managing the overall volunteer program at the Gardens. It will recruit, hire, train, evaluate, and schedule and be the official communicator for volunteers to assist across all department areas and keep all records associated with the volunteer program.
This position will collaborate with all staff to determine volunteer needs and then write job descriptions and recruit, train and schedule for those positions/tasks.
This position will actively seek and implement best practices in volunteer management by collaborating with other organizations, attending training programs and other ways to ensure the Gardens are maintaining an effective volunteer program.
Position will recruit and train and evaluate, in coordination with the Director of Education and Curator of the Crystal Bridge Conservatory and Director of Horticulture, docent training for docent to lead educational tours of the Conservatory and outdoor gardens and plant collections.
Also provide regular on-going training for all volunteers as needed so they are motivated, knowledgeable and effective volunteers for the organization.
Write and produce a volunteer newsletter to update volunteers on Gardens events, news, volunteer opportunities and to spotlight volunteers and acknowledge their service to the Gardens. Produce other collateral as needed for the overall program and recruitment needs.
Attend staff meetings to coordinate volunteer needs for regular and special event programming and communicate key information on the volunteer program.
Position will plan regular programs/events that will thank and acknowledge Gardens volunteers.
Help plan and manage budget expenses and revenues associated with operating the volunteer program.
Other duties related to the volunteer program as needed.
Other Responsibilities Include:
- Prepare a daily “What is Happening at the Gardens” sign to let visitors, volunteers and staff understand what events are happening, locations and hours etc.
- Make arrangements with weekend staffing to post/change as needed daily schedules.
- Ensure visitor lobby has collateral material in stock and on display and posters/promotions are up to date in bulletin boards.
- Oversee coordination and execution of fresh floral displays in the visitor lobby.
- Schedule docents for group tours of Crystal Bridge Conservatory.
- A B.A. or B.S. is required with at least 5 years of experience in non-profit volunteer or program management.
- Requires a high degree of organization, multi-tasking, attention to detail, time management and ability to work collaboratively in a team environment.
- Must have excellent written and oral communication skills and model outstanding customer service skills and attitude.
- Have ability to train, motivate, and lead volunteers and staff to provide top quality customer service and promote a culture of continual improvement regarding volunteer program and guest experience.
- Ability to plan, prioritize, delegate and follow through.
- Must be able to work some weekend and evening hours for special events and volunteer receptions.
Myriad Botanical Gardens offers a competitive salary with excellent benefit package including: health, dental and vision insurance, matching 401(k) retirement plan, vacation and continuing education opportunities.
Please apply by sending a resume and three letters of references to:
Myriad Gardens Foundation, ATT: A. Elkins 301 W. Reno Ave, Oklahoma City, OK 73102 or
Applications are Due by: September 16, 2013