Public Garden Career Center - View Job
La Cañada Flintridge, California
Posted: Thursday, July 25, 2013
Reports To: Director of Horticulture and Garden Operations
Descanso Gardens seeks a Facilities Manager who will manage all aspects of non-horticultural plant, grounds, and maintenance operations; fleet management; and security and safety operations. Reporting to the Director of Horticulture and Garden Operations, the Facilities Manager’s key areas of responsibility will include, but will not be limited to, all facility equipment, HVAC, plumbing, lighting, solar panels, roofing systems, irrigation, septic, vehicles and general building maintenance. The Manager will be responsible for critical systems supporting equipment, preventive maintenance, and all break/fix requirements related to facility operations; this position will be responsible for the development, planning, and management of all critical equipment maintenance events. In addition, the Manager will be responsible for ensuring all events held on-site are staffed appropriately and executed at a high level as expected in a public-facing
The Facilities Manager will provide leadership and will mentor the facility staff on FM best practices. This role will act as the site contact and liaison for maintenance projects and will provide support for the site regarding renovations and repairs. The manager will develop and maintain an employee safety training program and related activities including documented safety procedures.
The Facilities Crew, Facilities Maintenance, outsourced janitorial service and temporary employees will report to the Facilities Manager who is responsible for scheduling, hiring, reviewing, and managing all employees in these categories.
This is a 40 hour a week, full-time, exempt position and includes some evening and/or weekend hours depending on the needs of the organization.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS, DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Develop and implement plans and procedures that assure the well-being of Descanso’s buildings and
grounds, including preventive maintenance. Ensure the proper and efficient operation and all building systems and equipment. Included, but not limited to, in these plans and procedures are cleaning and waste management, maintenance of machinery, vehicles, HVAC, plumbing, irrigation systems, septic, electrical systems, solar panels, lighting, and roofing systems.
• Develop short- and long-term strategic and proactive facilities maintenance schedules for on-going and preventive maintenance for each facility operating system.
• Assist in annual budget development process for overall building operations and maintenance, including repairs and capital improvements.
• Primary contact for staff, vendors and contractors to work on repair of building, systems and equipment. Obtains RFPs and estimates for all work to be performed on-site. Ensures completed
work meets deadlines, budget and quality standards.
• Manage Descanso’s Disaster Preparedness Plan, staff Emergency Response Team and maintain
• Participate in the planning and the execution of safety trainings and regular facility meetings for team management of the Descanso Gardens assets.
• Conduct regular facility and fire inspections and ensure all facility permits are in compliance with the
appropriate agency (including but not limited to fire, health, railroad, etc.).
• Monitor OSHA compliance.
• Maintain building security, access and keys for all spaces.
• Responsible for ensuring that rooms/space scheduled for use or rental are set-up and struck as specified.
• Assure a high level of general building maintenance and janitorial duties in coordination with cleaning company, including but not limited to sweeping, mopping, dusting, trash removal, vacuuming, spot
cleaning, washing, carpet cleaning, painting, equipment installations, changing light bulbs, debris removal, windows and landscape work/gardening.
• Directly supervise Facilities Maintenance and Facilities Crew staff and take responsibility for all related
personnel decisions regarding hiring, discipline, performance appraisal and staff development.
• Provide technical and maintenance support on processes, projects, and work with maintenance staff on a day-today basis
• Ensure accurate technical/maintenance instructions and content. Understand and document all maintenance contracts including scope of work and length of contracts. Ensure no lapses in contracts
and all planned maintenance occurs as scheduled.
• Provide root cause analysis, corrective actions, and implementation plans related to any and all equipment failures.
• Identify and lead cost reduction efforts by evaluation of utility usage, equipment, spare parts systems, general inventory supply, and equipment components.
• Oversee inventory and ordering of facility-related tools, machinery, materials and supplies.
• Administrator for security system.
• Work closely with staff in other departments to produce and ensure work is produced on time and meets performance and organizational goals.
• Develop and maintain a network of professional contacts to advance the image and/or operational
well-being of Descanso Gardens.
• Completion of other job related duties, as assigned.
EQUIPMENT USED AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
Computer, printer, phone, fax, Case backhoe tractor, Bobcat, 1/8th replica diesel train, golf cart,, trucks, gardening equipment, irrigation pipes, walkie-talkie.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• The ability to walk, kneel, bend, stoop, sit, crouch, drive vehicles, and climb ladders.
• Occasional wading in and working with water.
• The ability to lift and carry 50 lbs., occasionally, but not routinely.
• Exposure to various noise levels on a daily basis.
• Ability to work both indoors and outdoors as required
• Ability to work at heights and in confined spaces
• Ability to work extended periods of time both walking and/or standing
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
This position requires:
• Minimum of five years general supervisory experience to include budgets, performance management, project management and the like with a strong understanding of technical, financial,engineering or building trade, scheduling, project management and staff management of plant maintenance and capital planning required.
• Associates degree in related discipline or vocational training or certification in any engineering or trade required.
• Must be familiar with IBC, NFPA, ADA and OSHA standards.
• Competence in MS Outlook and MS Excel required; advanced experience with MS Office applications preferred.
• Proficiency with computerized maintenance management system (CMMS) preferred.
• Excellent organizational, planning, and problem-solving skills and the ability to prioritize multiple projects.
• Strong work ethic and ability to work successfully as a member of a team.
• Valid Class C California Driver’s License required.
• Clean DMV record required.
• Must possess excellent interpersonal and communications abilities to build effective, collaborative relationships within and outside of Descanso Gardens Guild.
• Solid political agility to work through organizational issues.
• Personnel management, which includes, but is not limited to, hiring procedures, employee development, and performance management, coaching and mentoring.
• Knowledge of diverse groups, working with a multicultural workforce, and a sensitivity to, and appreciation for cultural differences.
• Effective oral communications skills with the ability to interact with employees at all levels of the organization as well as with external contacts.
• Fluency in Spanish, speaking, reading and writing, preferred.
• Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions or solutions.
• Knowledge of project management principles, practices, techniques, and tools.
• Knowledge of and commitment to customer service principles, techniques, systems, and standards.
• Flexibility to change and a well-developed ability to perform under various levels of stress, imposed by frequent deadlines and peak workloads essential.
Compensation: $40,000-$48,000, depending on qualifications and experience.
To apply: Interested parties may apply by submitting a letter of interest, resume and salary history to email@example.com with FM0713 in the subject line. Only those meeting the minimum requirements and submitting all required information will be contacted for further inquiry. We will accept resumes until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Descanso Gardens Guild Inc. acknowledges that equal opportunity for all persons is a fundamental human value. Each employee will be considered on the basis of individual ability and merit, without regard to race, color, age, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, sex, or marital status.