Public Garden Career Center - View Job
Administrative Assistant PT
La Cañada Flintridge, California
Posted: Thursday, July 25, 2013
Reports to: Development Coordinator
Descanso Gardens seeks an Administrative Assistant who will provide administrative support that is critical to the successful operation of Descanso’s executive offices and development program. Under the supervision of the Development Coordinator, the Assistant is responsible for scheduling meetings and maintaining calendars, arranging catering and room reservations, maintaining office supplies and equipment, monitoring financial transactions in compliance with Descanso Gardens’ policies and audit requirements, and for preparing reports, letters and memoranda that contain complex and sensitive information about donors or prospects. This position is responsible for coordinating all gifts processed, producing donor acknowledgment letters, and maintaining accurate and up-to-date donor rosters and financial reports.
This is a 20-25 hour a week, part-time, non-exempt position and may include some evening and/or weekend hours, depending on the needs of the organization.
• Coordinates and performs office functions such as data entry, clerical support, and office coordination including maintaining office supplies, stationery, daily mail and office equipment.
• Schedules and coordinates appointments, meetings and business-related social events and maintains calendars as directed by the Development Coordinator.
• Under direction, compiles guest lists, produces and mails invitations, and compiles responses.
• Staffs events as required.
• Makes room reservations and catering and logistical arrangements for events, appointments, meetings, and business-related social events.
• Updates donor and membership database and prepares accurate deposits.
• Prepares and processes various paperwork necessary to issue payments to vendors and service providers or reimbursements to staff, in compliance with Descanso policies and procedures and audit requirements.
• Produces in draft and final form all documents such as letters, memoranda, reports, proposals, spreadsheets, etc.
• Performs other duties as assigned or directed to ensure smooth operation of the organization.
EQUIPMENT USED and PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
• This position requires use of computers, standard office equipment including photocopier, postage meter, ten key, credit card processing machine, printer, hand-held (two-way) radio, sound system, projectors, golf cart.
• This position occasionally requires lifting of up to 15 pounds.
• Exposure to various noise levels on a daily basis.
• Ability to walk long distances to various outdoor locations and to work outdoors as needed.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
• Two years administrative/clerical experience, required.
• College degree, preferred.
• Requires good composition and excellent English grammar and proofreading skills, as well as competency in work processing.
• Requires proficiency in the use of MS Office, Internet, and e-mail for the creation, production, sharing, transfer, organization, storage and retrieval of reports and documents, including spreadsheets, presentations, reports, and internal and external
• Requires acquired proficiency (training provided) in DGES database in order to compile, analyze and produce gift and biographical data reports.
• Demonstration of highly effective organizational, interpersonal, problem-solving, and teamwork skills.
• Demonstration of effective verbal and written communication.
• Keyboarding/typing skills of 50 wpm for memos, minutes, and other correspondence.
• Knowledge of skill in the operation and troubleshooting of office printers, faxes, copiers and other equipment.
• CA driver’s license.
• Other critical attributes include a high degree of warmth, strong interpersonal communication skills and a well-developed sense of humor. It is essential that the candidate have the flexibility and philosophical orientation to function effectively with staff, Trustees, donors, members, volunteers and vendors.
Compensation: $12.50-14.50, depending on experience
To apply: Interested parties may apply by submitting a letter of interest, resume and salary history to firstname.lastname@example.org with Admin Assist0713 in the subject line. Only those meeting minimum requirements will be contacted for further inquiry. We will accept resumes until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Descanso Gardens Guild Inc. acknowledges that equal opportunity for all persons is a fundamental human value. Each employee will be considered on the basis of individual ability and merit, without regard to race, color, age, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, sex, or marital status.