Public Garden Career Center - View Job
Duke Farms Foundation
Hillsborough, New Jersey
Posted: Monday, July 22, 2013
DUKE FARMS FOUNDATION
Mission of the Duke Farms Foundation
As one of the largest privately-owned open spaces in the State of New Jersey, rich in agriculture, horticulture and ecological resources, Duke Farms’ mission is to be a model of environmental stewardship and to inspire its visitors to become informed stewards of the land.
The Education Coordinator is a member of the Duke Farms Programs team integrating the public with hands on stewardship and educational activities. The individual in this position is responsible for designing, planning and implementing dynamic, unique and inspiring educational programs helping further the mission of Duke Farms.
Primary Job Functions
• Work with Education staff to determine departmental needs for educational programming.
• Develop and coordinate large-scale, seasonal multi-partner festivals.
• Develop and coordinate Environmental Movie Series.
• Develop and coordinate mission-aligned, long-term, multi-contact initiatives for families and youth.
• Cultivate and foster partnerships with diverse mission-aligned and supporting organizations
• Develop and implement Duke Farms specific Professional Development for Teachers, including off-site training for teachers and chaperones participating in our Self-Guided Field Trip Program
• Collaborate with highly diverse community partners to enhance visitation at Duke Farms and facilitate integration of sustainability in communities through the development of fun, engaging activities
• Develop Self-Guided Field Trip Lesson Plans
• Assess the need for, develop and coordinate “spontaneous education opportunities” including but not limited to Discovery Carts, Education Gallery Exhibits and Duke Steward programs.
• Work with Manager of Visitor Engagement and Volunteer Coordinator to develop and implement 2 student service learning days per year.
• Develop, coordinate and/or implement mission aligned Family and Adult Programming
• Development and coordination of a monthly Citizen Science Initiative
• Assist in accomplishment of departmental goals and objectives
• Develop and coordinate programs that will highlight Duke Farms’ research initiatives
• Collaborate with Duke Farms’ staff to enhance visitor experiences
• Perform other related work as required.
• 3-5 years of experience in education program development, coordination and implementation for an environmental organization in a non-profit setting.
• Experience working directly with NJ school teachers and administrators
• Familiarity with Duke Farms and Duke Farms’ audience
• Ability to self-direct and actively find opportunities while seeking guidance from Managers/Directors
• Strong attention to detail, high organizational abilities and communication skills.
• Good understanding of human needs and behavior.
• Strong writing and content development skills, especially the capacity to develop professional level content as well as general consumer content.
• Strong computer and Internet skills with a high level of experience in Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook. Highly proficient in e-mail.
• Must be comfortable with exploring and using new technologies.
• Organized and adaptable, with the ability to manage multiple projects and several priorities simultaneously. Strong ability to stay focused and on task, with an excellent attention to detail.
• Self-motivated team player who works cooperatively and positively with others. Uses good judgment to solve problems and make decisions independently.
• Knowledge and interest in environmental stewardship.
• Able to work outside of traditional business hours, including weekends and occasional holidays
How to Apply:
• Applications will be accepted by Human Resources through July 31, 2013.
• To apply e-mail your resume and cover letter to email@example.com
• Please include your salary history, and reference “Education Coordinator” in the subject line of your submission.
• No phone calls please.
• Do not apply in person.