Public Garden Career Center - View Job
High Glen Gardens
Salary: 10-month contract, part-time
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2013
High Glen is a private, 60-acre, newly-developed estate in Frederick, MD with roughly 10 cultivated acres of formal gardens, including a perennial border, rose garden, annual beds, wetland area, greenhouse, Japanese garden, Mediterranean garden, vegetable garden, cutting gardens, English cottage garden, hawthorn orchard, and extensive perimeter plantings.
Currently, High Glen is embarking on its first Master Plan initiative, developing a long-term strategy to evolve from a private estate into a public garden. To that end, we are searching for a Management Consultant that will advise and assist in the creation of an appropriate management plan during this process.
The Management Consultant will advise the owners, Property Manager, Head Gardener and staff in the creation and development of an effective and efficient management system that addresses the unique needs of High Glen as it evolves into the public domain. Using existing botanic gardens, arboreta, historic landscapes, conservatories, and public parks and gardens as a model, the Consultant will guide and mentor the staff addressing the best management practices integral to successful operation of such gardens. All gardens and grounds of High Glen shall be at a high level of quality presentation showing quality design and maintenance through all seasons, worthy of being one of the top ten private/public gardens in the Washington metropolitan region.
- assess and advise in the execution of complex infrastructure and management environments in the public garden domain
- train and guide existing management staff in best management practices and appropriate methodology for the above
- use a working knowledge of BG-Base and BG-Map software to advance High Glen objectives
- create and meet clearly-defined goals and benchmarks
- facilitate communication between owners, staff and contractors
- participate and advise in the High Glen Master Plan initiative
The contract for this Management Consultant position is on a part-time basis, and will run for approximately 10 months from September 3, 2013 through June 27, 2014.
Salary: Commensurate with experience
The Management Consultant reports directly to the owners.
- B.A./B.S. college degree in public garden management, management, horticulture or related field; or 15-18 years of equivalent industry management experience in a significant garden, arboretum, historic property, or related public, educational or environmental institution
- Minimum of 10 years of industry management experience and demonstrated management skills
- Proven extensive written and verbal communication ability
- Minimum of a working knowledge of BG-Base and BG-Map
- Ability to work as a team player and a leader in a consulting environment
- Excellent MS Word, Excel and Project skills
- Proven record of success in working collaboratively with a team of strong, diverse individuals to achieve common goals
Peter Couchman, Head Gardener