Public Garden Career Center - View Job
Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Garden
Posted: Wednesday, July 10, 2013
Integrated Pest Management Specialist
Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens
Esteemed as the Green Heart of Pittsburgh and one of the world’s greenest public gardens, Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens is empowered by its mission to inspire and educate all with the beauty and importance of plants; to advance sustainability and promote human and environmental well-being through action and research; and to celebrate its historic glasshouse.
Phipps is seeking a full-time Integrated Pest Management (IPM) Specialist to coordinate Phipps’ IPM program in the Conservatory, production houses and outdoor gardens with the goal of eliminating pesticide usage while maintaining the health and beauty of the plants.
Essential duties and responsibilities will include:
- Monitoring and diagnosing all pest problems, including insects and diseases, as well as physiological and cultural conditions, including building pests, throughout the Conservatory, gardens and buildings.
- Recommending least toxic course of action for treating pests and diseases, being prepared to "think outside the box."
- Applying biological, cultural and natural pest controls as part of the overall IPM plan.
- Functioning as the staff expert on IPM; keeping abreast of latest research and current best practices regarding IPM recommendations; developing training and leading other staff members and volunteers in IPM techniques.
- Primary responsibility for the butterflies in the seasonal Butterfly Forest exhibit.
- Occasionally writing articles, teaching classes, giving lectures and tours and assisting with special events.
Requirements: minimum of a bachelor's degree in horticulture, entomology or related field; three years’ experience with plant maintenance and IPM, including care of diverse horticultural crops; knowledge and practice of highest industry standards for IPM, planting, pruning and maintenance; and a valid driver’s license. Pennsylvania pesticide applicator license must be acquired within six months of hire.
Qualified candidates should email a resume, cover letter and salary history to email@example.com or mail to Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens, Human Resources Department, One Schenley Park, Pittsburgh, PA 15213. No telephone calls, please.
For more information about Phipps, please visit our website: www.phipps.conservatory.org.
Phipps Conservatory is an equal opportunity employer.