Public Garden Career Center - View Job
Wellfield Botanic Gardens
Posted: Wednesday, July 3, 2013
Wellfield Botanic Gardens, Elkhart, Indiana
Position Title: Executive Director
Reports To: Board of Directors
Employee Status: Full-time, including periodic weekend and evening hours.
Due to the pending retirement of the founding executive director at the end of 2013 we are seeking a person to lead the organization as construction is completed and daily operations grow. We are seeking a hands-on leader, a creative, dynamic, organized individual who would enjoy the challenge and opportunity to help grow a privately funded and operated public garden. Public garden management experience, plus an ability to communicate and motivate, are essential.
Wellfield Botanic Gardens, founded in 2005, is an evolving, vibrant garden situated on 36 acres, six blocks north of downtown Elkhart on a historical piece of property known as the North Main Street well field. This site has been a source of hydraulic energy and drinking water for the City of Elkhart since the middle 1800’s. Currently the City of Elkhart, IN Department of Public Works operates 13 wells on the site and it is the city’s largest source of drinking water. The Wellfield Botanic Gardens is a 501 (c) (3) not for profit organization that leases the property from the city. Eight gardens and the entry Visitors Center have been completed and six more gardens are in the process of construction. We are in the early stages of planning new programs, exhibits and events to fully take advantage of the exciting new garden spaces and facilities to fulfill our mission.
Duties & Responsibilities:
· Provide overall management of the gardens, grounds and operations.
· Ensure top quality facilities and programs using staff, volunteers, vendors and contractors.
· Prepare and administer the organization’s budget and planning including budget monitoring,
strategic planning, capital projects, facility maintenance and programming.
· Supervise staff, volunteers and outside contractors.
· Work closely with staff, vendors and contractors on master-planning and other issues related to site
development and programming.
· Leadership in fund raising which will identify, solicit, and cultivate funding sources for the Gardens,
including annual memberships, entrance fees, fund raising events, grants, individual, and corporate
donors and endowment income.
· Engage in outreach with regional botanical, horticultural and environmental organizations in support
of services and educational programs related to our mission.
· Help plan and coordinate high-quality special events.
· Serve as a lead organizational spokesperson for the Gardens to the media, civic groups, government
and the public.
· Establish good working relationships with all governmental entities that relate to development and
· Leadership to help the Gardens reach the goal of providing world class experiences for our guests.
Skills / Training / Experience Required
· Minimum of a bachelor degree.
· Fund raising skills to provide leadership in obtaining funds for operations and development from
major patrons, grants and the public.
· Organization and administrative skills.
· At least 10 years work experience with 5 years in a management position, preferably in a public
garden or arboretum setting.
· Understanding of accounting and financial reporting
Licenses and Certifications
1. Must possess a valid Driver’s License
2. Maintains insurability under the company auto liability policy
Salary, commensurate with experience.
Qualified candidates should submit cover letter and resume to: email@example.com.
For more information, please visit:
http://www.wellfieldgardens.org or see us on Facebook.