Public Garden Career Center - View Job
Coastal Georgia Botanical Gardens
Posted: Tuesday, July 2, 2013
The Coastal Georgia Botanical Gardens at the Historic Bamboo Farm in Savannah invites nominations and applications for the position of Director. This role is responsible for fiscal, personnel and program management including operating policies, short- and long-term planning, and implementation of the current strategic plan. The successful candidate must have strong management, administrative, communication, leadership and interpersonal skills to implement that vision; an understanding of nonprofit organizations and academic institutions; and skills to play a major role in fundraising and development of the 51-acre botanical garden.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Oversee the daily operations of the CGBG to include employee management and supervision, ensure that the garden is fiscally and administratively sound, that its programs, projects, and the landsite are effective and well-managed, and the Garden continues to inspire and engage the public
• Maintenance operations ensuring compliance with all applicable regulations/guidelines and provide leadership to increase the number and variety of supporting volunteers as well as provide leadership for the implementation of the Strategic Plan for the Gardens including facilities development, construction management and other related issues
• Continue to cultivate the Garden’s relationship with the community
• Utilize the expertise of advisory groups, community leaders, public officials and representatives of intended audiences to analyze data, identify needs and assist in developing educational exhibits, programs or events
• Increase earned and philanthropic revenue streams; including donor recruitment, fundraising campaigns, development of for-sale items and the development of self-sustaining programming and events; to enhance the visitor experience at the CGBG through initiation of new attractions, exhibits, programs and collections; and an aggressive marketing and public relations program for increasing visibility of the CGBG and to increase visitors
• Participate in partnerships and facilitate collaboration with other institutions of higher learning, government entities, and similar groups with a special emphasis on developing partnerships with horticultural societies and related organizations
• Demonstrate personal interest and involvement in community by participating in and supporting civic/community activities and organizations and networking with community leaders
• Implement Cooperative Extension’s Equal Opportunity Plan
Qualifications: The successful candidate should:
• Have experience in horticulture, public relations, volunteer recruitment and management, development and implementation of strategic plans, fundraising and donor development, and working in a fast paced environment
• Possess excellent organizational development, interpersonal, marketing, communication, analytical, presentation, administration, and personnel management skills
• Be visionary, trustworthy, diplomatic, and innovative
• Have the ability to inspire, motivate, and build collaborative ventures with diverse constituents
• Possess qualities that will earn the respect of staff, community, donors and other stakeholders, as well as be an enthusiastic and knowledgeable participant with other local education and cultural entities
• Have obtained a Masters’ degree in a related discipline OR a current faculty rank of Senior Public Service Associate
• Preferably have previous experience in a management level position at a public garden is highly desirable as well as at an institution of higher learning.
Salary and benefits:
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. The tentative start date for the position is September 1, 2013. An excellent benefits package is available as a Public Service Faculty member of the University of Georgia. This position serves as a member of the Southeast District Extension Staff and is under the direction of the Southeast District Extension Director.
To ensure consideration, your application must be received in UGA Human Resources’ iPAWS system by July 19th, 2013.
Apply online at www.ugajobsearch.com/applicants/Central?quickFind=62215 (Posting Number 20130983 listed as “Public Service Faculty”). Please direct questions to: UGA SE District Office, P.O. Box 8112, Statesboro, GA 30460, (912) 681-0177, firstname.lastname@example.org