Public Garden Career Center - View Job
Moore Farms Botanical Garden
Lake City, South Carolina
Posted: Monday, June 24, 2013
Position Title: Grower
We are seeking a qualified individual to assist in producing high quality plant material by proper crop timing and care, supervising crew members and performing general plant production techniques.
- Perform general plant production duties such as propagating, pruning, planting, watering.
- Assist in the management of climate control and fertility systems.
- Assist in the supervision of crew members.
- Maintain accurate plant records and labeling.
- Monitor for pests and diseases and apply appropriate pesticides, herbicides and fertilizers.
- Lead tours and assist with special events such as plant sales.
- Operate heavy equipment and standard power tools such as pressure washers and blowers.
Education and Experience:
Bachelor’s or associate’s degree in horticulture or related field or any other equivalent combination of training, skills and experience.
Preferred: Previous professional experience in the field of plant production. Knowledge of common landscape plants of the southeast. Understanding of basic plant production techniques in greenhouse and nursery settings.
Ability to lift 50lbs. Willingness and ability to perform physical work outside in all weather conditions. Ability to stand for extended periods of time, carry, climb, push, stoop, reach, dig and to load and unload various objects. Ability to operate various power tools and heavy equipment. Must possess a valid South Carolina Driver’s license and be willing to obtain a South Carolina Pesticide Applicator’s license.
The majority of time will be spent working inside a greenhouse and outside nursery setting, though some office work is also required. Summers are hot and humid with exposure to biting insects and poison ivy.
This is a full time exempt position with a competitive salary commensurate with experience. Benefits include medical coverage, paid vacation, holidays, sick leave, etc.
Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to Madison Turnblad at firstname.lastname@example.org.