Public Garden Career Center - View Job
Moore Farms Botanical Garden
Lake City, SC
Posted: Monday, April 15, 2013
Position Title: Research Assistant
We’re seeking a qualified individual to develop, improve, implement and manage research projects on the green roof, living wall and trial gardens.
- Monitor, collect, record, evaluate and interpret trial data.
- Organize databases, records and perform computer data analysis.
- Develop and write trial protocols, evaluate program.
- Perform general gardening duties such as pruning, planting, weeding and mulching as necessary to maintain the green roof, living, wall, trial gardens and maintenance facility landscape.
- Monitor for pests and diseases and apply appropriate pesticides, herbicides and fertilizers
- Lead garden tours and assist with special events.
- Operate heavy equipment such as boom lifts and standard garden power tools such as chainsaws, blowers and tillers.
Education and experience:
Bachelor’s degree in horticulture, biological sciences or related field or any other equivalent combination of training, skills and experience.
Preferred: Previous professional experience with green roofs, living walls or plant evaluation trials. Knowledge of common landscape plants of the southeast.
Ability to lift 50 lbs. Willingness and ability to perform physical work outside in all weather conditions. Ability to carry, climb, push, stoop, reach, dig and to load and unload various objects. Ability to operate various power tools and heavy equipment. Must possess a valid South Carolina Driver’s license and be willing to obtain a South Carolina Pesticide Applicator’s license.
Office work, with significant time spent working outside collecting data and managing the trial gardens. Summers are hot and humid with exposure to biting insects and poison ivy.
Compensation: This is a full time exempt position with a competitive salary commensurate with experience. Benefits include medical coverage, paid vacation, holidays, sick leave, etc.
About the garden:
Moore Farms Botanical Garden is a nonprofit organization set on over 500 acres near Lake City, South Carolina. The garden is cultivated on 35 acres and is a dynamic mix of formal, naturalistic, and agrarian landscapes. Garden areas include a formal garden, vegetable garden, green roof, turf farm, muscadine vineyard, pond gardens, formal shrub borders, and a greenhouse and nursery. Other land use includes agriculture, forestry and wildlife habitat. We are currently in a period of growth in both our horticultural displays and programming. This is a very exciting time to be part of the MFBG team. Please visit our website at www.moorefarmsbg.org to learn more.
Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to Ethan Kauffman at firstname.lastname@example.org.