Public Garden Career Center - View Job
Grounds Skilled Worker
Bellevue Botanical Garden
Salary: $3,978.26 - $4,999.80/Monthly
Posted: Monday, March 25, 2013
Bellevue Botanical Garden-Grounds Skilled Worker
Interested applicants should apply on-line at www.bellevuewa.gov not later than April 3, 2013.
The City of Bellevue is currently accepting applications for a regular 1.0 FTE, Grounds Skilled Worker. This position is responsible for grounds maintenance for Bellevue Botanical Garden. This position reports directly to the Grounds Crew Leader and assists with garden improvement projects, general landscaping, irrigation, responding to public questions, working with full time and seasonal staff and volunteers, and assisting with plant records.
** Please note that some weekend scheduling will be expected for this position; weekend requirements may increase in the future dependent upon business needs.
Essential Functions of the Job
All general duties necessary to maintain, operate, install, and upgrade botanical garden horticultural displays and infrastructure systems, including:
- Plant ID
- Prune trees and shrubs
- Install and repair irrigation and drainage systems
- Perform grading and other landscaping tasks
- Prepare planting beds and install new landscapes
- Maintain and renovate display gardens and natural areas
- Weed, disease and pest identification and control
- Deadheading, leaf clean-up, storm damage clean-up and other seasonal maintenance
- Assist Garden Manager with plant collections records maintenance
- Assist with special events and volunteer program in busy public garden
- Provide customers service to a wide-range of garden visitors while managing work-load and tasks
Equipment - Must be able to operate hand and power tools such as mowers, weed-eaters, backpack blowers, clainsaws, trimmers, trucks, tractors, utility vehicles, rototillers, seeders, fertilizer spreaders, top dressers, aerifiers, backhoes, and other various implements.
Education & Experience Requirements
High School Diploma or GED preferred, a minimum of 2 years work experience relating to maintenance and stewardship of landscape, parks or public gardens. 2-4 year horticulture degree is desirable.
Additional Qualification Criteria
- Must possess a valid Washington State drivers license at the time of hire. Must have and maintain a good driving record according to City standards (posted on job application). Current original drivers abstract required at time of interview.
- Washington State Pesticide applicators license for weeds, ability to obtain for pests and diseases within six months.
- Ability to pass a criminal background investigation.
- General knowledge of grounds maintenance methods including aptitude in landscape construction for garden enhancement.
Working Conditions & Physical Requirements
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Work environment is primarily outside, labor intensive and in all weather conditions. Work involves employees working alone, with co-workers or volunteers. Employee must be physically able to lift 50 lbs and walk, stand, crawl or stoop.
Persons in this classification perform all tasks associated with their work group. They conscientiously and competently operate and care for all equipment needed to complete the tasks for their work group. Work will be performed cooperatively with other employees as necessary and completed in a manner that assures individual, co-worker, and public safety in all weather and working conditions. Employees work with little supervision while on the job site, make decisions necessary to plan, organize, and complete their work with appropriate efficiency, and complete work in a manner that commands the respect of, or demonstrates the appropriate courtesy to, co-workers and the public.