Santa Fe Botanical Garden
March 4, 2013
Job Description:Director of Education
Purpose:The Director of Education will be responsible for the development, coordination and training of formal education programs for students and teachers, as well as informal programming for families and adults to fulfill the mission of the Santa Fe Botanical Garden.
Reports To:The Chief Executive Officer of SFBG
Duties and Responsibilities - Program Development:
· Develop an over-arching strategy to maximize the impact of SFBG educational programs geared towards students, teachers, families and adults at the Leonora Curtin Wetland Preserve, the Ortiz Mountains Educational Preserve and the Santa Fe Botanical Garden at Museum Hill.
· Expand Science at Cienega program in order to consistently reach more students.
· Apply the knowledge, ability and motivation to think critically about ecosystems and the ways humans relate to them in the development of program content aligned with the formal subject requirements of the New Mexico Department of Education and the Santa Fe Public Schools for grades K through 12.
· Utilize the garden and preserves as outdoor classrooms offering experiential and inquiry-based learning opportunities for children, youth and adults and recognition of the SFBG as a reliable resource for teachers.
· Initiate program collaboration with other like-minded institutions to maximize inclusiveness and outreach to all Santa Fe communities.
Duties and Responsibilities – Program Implementation:
· Implement an expansive schedule of informal youth and families programs that are both fun and teach principles of sustainable gardening, food production, water conservation and environmental stewardship.
· Initiate a standardized method of evaluating school program effectiveness.
· Participate with the Chief Executive Officer and Managing Director to identify ongoing sources of support to fund the SFBG education budget.
· Responsible for on-line registration for all education workshops, lectures.
· Maintain participants’ profile information on Altru donor database.
· Maintain data on all instructors and presenters.
· Work closely with and provide direction to the Education Committee.
· Print and assemble materials for workshops, lectures or other programs.
· Work with other appropriate staff in scheduling and arranging all education programs.
· Work with Volunteer Coordinator to recruit and place volunteers.
· As appropriate, be present during education programs to assist with registration and arrangements.
· Prepare and assemble evaluation questionnaires for all workshops, lectures.
Duties and Responsibilities – Programs Promotion:
· Work with appropriate staff to plan promotion of each education program.
· Oversee distribution of brochures and registration forms.
· Coordinate communication with all aspects of educational programs.
Qualifications and Skills:
· Bachelor degree in education required, a Masters degree preferred.
· Five years experience in education, teaching, or program development preferred.
· Strong skills in working with staff and volunteers, with the ability to attract and involve volunteers and advisors whose knowledge, experience and credentials represent the highest and best capabilities in educational leadership.
· Well organized with ability to oversee and coordinate multiple activities.
· Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
· Exceptional communications, interpersonal and supervisory skills.
This is a 32 hour per week position with benefits.
The Santa Fe Botanical Garden the SFBG does not discriminate in its hiring and employment practices in accordance with applicable Federal and NM laws.
Send resume and three references to:
Clayton Bass, Chief Executive Officer
Deadline for submissions: March 25, 2013