National Herb Garden Internship
The U.S. National Arboretum is seeking qualified recent graduate to perform technician duties as an Herb Garden Intern in the National Herb Garden in Washington, DC.
· Assists the Herb Garden curator in the development and maintenance of the plant germplasm collection.
· Performs general gardening tasks that provide proper environmental conditions for germplasm including watering, mowing, mulching and weeding.
· Maintains proper greenhouse conditions including correct nutritional regimens and environmental variables.
· Perform routine and recurring techniques and studies using a variety of specialized equipment.
· Collect, prepare, evaluate, and verify samples and supporting records; maintain records and locate and compile data and other information from various sources.
· Keep detailed records of experimental data and plant inventories.
· Keep work-site in a neat and orderly manner.
1. Knowledge of the basic principles of horticulture or botany.
2. Knowledge of garden maintenance and development such as weeding, propagation, planting, watering and/or pest management.
3. Skill in the use of garden maintenance equipment such as a lawn mower, leaf blower, loppers, and pruners.
4. Ability to collect and summarize data using a personal computer and software packages.
Applicants must be within 2 years of completion of program requirements for an associates, bachelors, masters, professional, doctoral or technical/vocational degree or certificate from a qualifying educational institution. Preference eligible veterans who were precluded from applying due to their military service obligation begin their 2-year eligibility period upon release or discharge from active duty. Eligibility for these veterans cannot exceed 6 years from the date on which the degree (or certification) was completed.
All applicants must apply through www.usajobs.gov at this link: https://www.usajobs.gov/