Public Garden Career Center - View Job
Plant Records Assistant
Mt. Cuba Center
Posted: Wednesday, April 3, 2013
Title: Plant Records Assistant
Classificiation: Part Time, Non Exempt
Location: Hockessin, Delaware
The Plant Records Assistant will support the Plant Recorder in all Plant Records activities. This will include entering and maintaining computer-based plant records, production of accession tags and identification labels, conducting periodic inventories, and assisting staff with Mt. Cuba Center’s living collection information. The Plant Records Assistant operates under the direct supervision of the Plant Recorder. As a part-time employee, the hours worked per year must be under 1000.
Major Duties, Responsibilities and Essential Functions:
- Assist the Plant Recorder with supervision of Plant Records volunteers and interns.
- Work with staff and interns to implement policies and procedures of the Plant Records Department
- Enter and maintain computer-based plant records.
- Assist in the production of accession tags and identification labels.
- Conduct periodic inventories of Mt Cuba Center’s living collection.
- Participate in other projects as assigned by the Plant Recorder and Curator.
Qualifications, Skills and Other Requirements:
- This position requires an individual with practical horticultural experience and training; two years of professional work experience preferred. An associate/bachelor’s degree in horticulture, botany or related plant science field is desirable.
- Must possess a strong interest in native plants, shrubs, and trees, and naturalistic landscaping.
- Good working knowledge of plant identification, plant growth and cultural characteristics.
- Self-motivated, organized, attentive to details and the ability to effectively function without close supervision.
- Ability to operate surveying equipment for mapping preferred.
- Ability and willingness to work occasional weekends, holidays and special events as needed.
- Valid driver’s license.
- The ability to stand independently for extended periods of time.
- The ability to work outdoors in a variety of weather conditions.
- The ability to lift up to 35 pounds is required.
Date Available: Immediately
Compensation: Salary is commensurate with experience.
How to Apply:
All interested parties should e-mail a cover letter, résumé, and list of 3 references (please include addresses and telephone numbers) to email@example.com mail to: Human Resources, Mt. Cuba Center, Inc., 3120 Barley Mill Rd., Hockessin, DE 19707. Call Amy Highland, Curator, at 302-239-8813 for more information.
This position will remain open until a suitable candidate is hired.
Mt. Cuba Center, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer