Holden’s Lead Horticulturist is responsible for the scheduling, time-keeping, supervision and performance management of five (5) horticulturists for Holden’s core garden areas, in addition to direct, hands-on care of one assigned garden. S/he will report to the Director of Horticulture & Conservation, and will work closely with the Plant Collections Curator, Manager of Conservation and Crew Leader. S/he will be involved in the design, development, and implementation of new gardens and existing garden renovation projects, which will be considerable, as a new site master plan is implemented. S/he will help select plants and determine where they should be planted to optimize their survival and growth. S/he will also be responsible for the acquisition of new materials, record keeping, and maintenance of living plant collections that sustain the integrity and beauty of The Holden Arboretum. www.holdenarb.org
Experience and Qualifications
· A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in public horticulture, horticulture, landscape architecture or related field is preferred.
· A minimum of five (5) years of supervisory experience in landscaping, garden maintenance or a related field; previous work experience in public horticultural gardens a plus.
· This person must be able to identify, care for and maintain woody and herbaceous plants with an emphasis on rhododendrons. Expertise in plant care with knowledge of cultivated ornamental plant with an emphasis on family Ericaceae; knowledge of plant taxonomy preferred.
· Possess a strong sense of garden aesthetics; knowledge of garden design preferred.
· Experience successfully managing multiple projects, and multi-talented and formally-trained work teams.
· Hands-on work experience with horticulturists, seasonal workers and volunteers.
· Willing and able to operate small power equipment and perform strenuous, hands-on work year round in all types of weather conditions.
· Possess business skills that include successful budget planning and cost management.
· Experienced in effectively leading teams to accomplish multiple projects within budget and on time.
· Possess strong oral and written communication skills and proficiency with computer software (Word and Excel required, Access preferred); graphics design software knowledge a plus.
· Must possess pesticide applicator’s license or have the ability to acquire one.
· Project a positive image and an effective leadership style.
Review of applications with begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Qualified applicants should submit a resumé online with salary requirements at https://home.eease.com/recruit/?id=4029301
Posting Date: February 2013
Closing Date: Until Filled
The Holden Arboretum Is an Equal Opportunity, ADA Employer and a Drug-Free Workplace