Public Garden Career Center - View Internship
The Holden Arboretum
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2013
The Holden Arboretum has a Horticulture Internship opportunity for the period April through September, 2013. This internship offers students or recent grads the opportunity to experience various gardening responsibilities such as planting, transplanting, dividing, and maintaining a variety of woody and herbaceous plants. Pruning, deadheading, weeding, mulching, watering, fertilizing, and pest control are but a few of the other activities an intern may perform. In addition, on-the-job instruction, educational sessions and field trips are available as complements to academic study.
To qualify for a Horticulture Internship, you must be a Horticulture major or in a related field of study in an accredited, two or four-year college program. Recent graduates of such programs who are looking for hands-on work experience may also be considered.
Cautions and Essential Functions
- Interns may be exposed to poison ivy, which is common in natural and garden landscapes
- Exposure to biting insects is unavoidable
- Waterproof footwear with good ankle support and is suggested due to travel on off-trail, on wet, uneven, slippery terrain
- Perform required tasks in all weather conditions, which may include working in the rain or in temperatures ranging from 32-100 degrees Fahrenheit
- Good vision and hearing
- Ability to understand basic instructions using the English language
- Hand and arm dexterity
- Occasional lifting and carrying of up to 50 lbs.
- Kneeling, bending, stooping, grabbing, and reaching
- Climbing ladders
- Work with and around herbicides and deer repellent
- Operate motorized garden equipment (e.g. mowers) and maintenance vehicles (e.g. golf carts and gators)
Qualified applicants should submit a resumé online with salary requirements at https://home.eease.com/recruit/?id=3391261
Posting Date: Dec. 18, 2012
Closing Date: Until filled
The Holden Arboretum is an Equal Opportunity, ADA Employer and a Drug-Free Workplace