Public Garden Career Center - View Internship
Naples Botanical Garden
Posted: Monday, March 4, 2013
Position Title: Horticulture Intern
Reports to: Horticulture Manager
Position Summary: This internship provides a unique opportunity for students interested in gaining tropical horticulture experience at a recently expanded tropical botanical garden that is gaining popularity in the Southwest Florida area. Students will be working side-by-side with professional garden staff and volunteers, learning the specific plant care requirements for our vast collection of tropical and subtropical plants species. Students will also rotate responsibilities among the various garden areas including, but not limited to landscape beds, turf grass, water gardens, pest control, irrigation systems, plant curating, arboricultural and nurseries.
- Work under the direction of the horticultural staff and assist with all aspects of horticultural activities
- Rotate through horticultural staff to learn general care and maintenance of plant collections, including but not limited to pruning, weeding, mowing, propagating, irrigating and plant recording.
- Work on and present to horticulture staff an internship project to be assigned by the Director of Horticulture that will benefit both student and garden.
- Research solutions to horticultural problems as they occur that can include diagnosis and treatment of nutrient, disease, and pest problems among other things.
- Attend approved lectures and meetings held at NBG or other local institutions to strengthen the intern’s knowledge and understanding of tropical horticulture
- Other duties as assigned by Horticulture Manager.
Requirements of Internship:
- The successful candidate will participate in a 16-week, full-time (40 hours/week) paid internship
program starting in May and ending in August.
- The prospective candidate should have or be pursuing a degree in Horticulture (preferred), Biology, Botany, Environmental Studies/Sciences or related field at the undergraduate or graduate level, or have demonstrated interest and ability relating to plant conservation or tropical horticulture.
- The prospective candidate should be highly motivated and well organized with a strong work ethic, in addition to being willing and able to work full days outdoors in hot and humid environments.
- The successful candidate must possess a valid U.S. driver’s license and will be required to undergo a background check prior to beginning the internship.
- The candidate should have a working knowledge of MS Office software
To Apply:Please provide a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references by email to email@example.com. To find out more about Naples Botanical Garden, please visit our website at www.naplesgarden.org. Naples Botanical Garden is an Equal Opportunity Employer and has a long-standing policy of employment and advancement based solely upon qualifications to perform the essential elements of a position without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin (ancestry), or disability.