Lead Horticulturist – Japanese Garden
Position: Lead Horticulturist – Japanese Garden Department: Horticulture
Supervisor: Horticulture Manager Pay Type: Full time, Hourly, Non-exempt
Posted Date: February 8, 2013 Posting Ends: February 28, 2013
Job Description: Specific but not limited to the Richard & Helen DeVos Japanese Garden.Performs all duties associated with design, maintenance and care of the outdoor displays and collections. Duties are directly related to the design, installation and care of the collections, woody and herbaceous plant material and annual display crops. Seasonal designs, plant selection and ordering (as needed) and careful attention to accession record keeping and plant labeling are critical components of this position.
· Responsible for the care, maintenance and development of the Richard & Helen DeVos Japanese Garden.
· Performs a wide range of landscape/maintenance tasks important to the preservation, protection and transplanting of existing plants; including but not limited to soil preparation, planting, pruning, mulching, weeding, watering, fertilization, irrigation and pesticide application.
· Completes display designs, annual and perennial, on a regular basis, orders plants as needed for designs and oversees/performs the layout and installation of the designs.
· Ability to lead and direct the work of others to complete general projects, including other staff and volunteers is required.
· Oversees the day-to-day responsibilities of managing the landscape, maintenance issues and volunteer assignments.
· May be responsible for interacting with the media (TV, radio, newspaper etc), working with Public Relations to provide information about the horticultural content of their respective areas.
· Performs “off-season” tasks (i.e., tree pruning, leaf pick-up, annual flower showset-up.)
· In “winter” months, plows paths and roadways and shovels snow, reporting early and on weekends and holidays as needed.
· Adherence to all health and safety guidelines.
· Responsible for assignedweekend & Holiday rotation duties.
· Maintains general care of horticultural tools, and equipment (i.e., apply lubrication and general cleaning. Refers more serious problems to Supervisor)
Education and/or qualifications preferred:
· Minimum of (5-7) years’ hands-on, relevant horticulture work experience required.
· Excellent working knowledge of plant materials and landscape maintenance techniques; proficient in operating various landscaping tools and equipment.
· Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively at all levels; must enjoy and feel comfortable interacting and working in close proximity to general public, in a safe and friendly manner, answering questions regarding horticulture collection.
· Must be able to perform simple tasks independently after being given assignments.
· B.S. degree in Horticulture, Biology, Botany and/or related field required.
· An equivalent combination of skills, education and experience may be considered.
· Proficient experience using Microsoft Office suite (i.e., Outlook, Access, Excel, Word)
Send Resumes and Cover letter to: Human Resources & Volunteers
1000 East Beltline NE
Grand Rapids, MI 49525
FrederikMeijer Gardens & Sculpture Parkis an EOE.
All candidates are required to submit to our background and drug screening process