Public Garden Career Center - View Job
Butterflies & Blooms Exhibition – Volunteer Facilitator
Chicago Botanic Garden
Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2013
CHICAGOHORTICULTURAL SOCIETY POSITION DESCRIPTION
Title: Butterflies & Blooms Exhibition – Volunteer Facilitator
Exemption Status: Non-exempt (Hourly)
Department:: Interpretive Programs
Reports to: Manager, Interpretive Programs
Regular or Seasonal:Seasonal
Full-time or Part-time:Part-time
Supervises: Butterflies & Blooms Interpretive Programs Volunteers
This position oversees and facilitates the Interpretive Programs volunteers and supports operational aspects in the Butterflies & Blooms exhibition. This tented, but exposed to outdoor conditions, summer exhibition features a butterfly garden where visitors can immerse themselves with hundreds of live butterflies and moths.
In this role you will be responsible for the following:
- Work with each day’s Butterflies & Blooms Interpretive Programs volunteers; greet each of two shifts; get volunteers updated each day; get them placed and ensure volunteers rotate positions and get adequate breaks. Interact with volunteers throughout two daily shifts.
- Ensure that volunteer positions are covered each day; work with staff to keep volunteer schedule up-to-date and to fill vacancies.
- Mentor/coach volunteers as needed.
- Know USDA-regulated exhibition protocol – assist visitors and volunteers in following exhibition rules.
- Gain basic subject matter competency on the butterflies, moths and plants in the exhibition.
- Interact with visitors; assist with welcoming visitors, answering questions and facilitating a positive visitor experience.
- Communicate daily with Horticulture staff for pupa arrivals and exhibition updates.
- Report any operational problems to staff.
- Prepare and maintain supplies.
- Participate in volunteer trainings; assist Manager in developing continuing education activities for volunteers.
- Attend meetings and assist with other duties as needed.
- Exhibition open daily; weekday and weekend work required.
Our ideal candidate will have:
- Experience working with volunteers and in a public setting; excellent people skills.
- Demonstrated leadership, organizational and communication skills; ability to work as part of a team.
- Ability to be in a live butterfly exhibition and to learn about the butterflies, moths and plants in the exhibition.
- Basic computer skills – Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, etc.
Outdoor setting. Position requires being outdoors in varying weather conditions – heat, sun, and rain. Ability to stand for extended periods of time; walk to the exhibition and various buildings on the Garden campus; bend, stoop, and lift moderate weight (approximately 15 lbs) also required. Use of office equipment includes primarily computer, telephone and copier.
For almost 40 years, our employees have worked to promote the enjoyment, understanding, and conservation of plants and the natural world. Come work in a setting that is like no other. Take the first step towards being one of the employees who make the Garden one of the treasures of the Forest Preserve District of Cook County. Apply today.
Please note applicants who do not meet the required qualifications (i.e., experience working with the public and ability to work outdoors in various weather conditions) will not be considered.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and qualifications required of personnel so classified.
For more information contact:
Derek E. Sandiford
Manager Human Resources
Chicago Botanic Garden
1000 Lake Cook Road, 60022