Public Garden Career Center - View Job
Foreman of Gardeners/ Peggy Rockefeller Rose Garden Head Gardener
The New York Botanical Garden
Bronx, New York
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2013
The New York Botanical Garden
Foreman of Gardeners/
Peggy Rockefeller Rose Garden Head Gardener
The New York Botanical Garden, a National Historic Landmark and one of NYC’s premier cultural institutions, seeks a full-time Foreman of Gardeners/Peggy Rockefeller Rose Garden Head Gardener to join their Horticulture department.
The application deadline for this position is 3/31/2013.
Selected applicants will receive a letter of invitation to take a written exam in April.
Summary of Responsibilities:
The Foreman of Gardeners/Head Gardener, working with the Director of Outdoor Gardens and other senior staff members, will maintain the highest level of horticultural care in the Peggy Rockefeller Rose Garden. He/She will perform all necessary tasks and supervise other staff members as well as volunteers in the daily maintenance and long term care of the Rose Garden and its rose collections. He/She will also perform and supervise care of the Earth-Kind Trial Beds and rose plants in other gardens and areas as required.
- Perform daily work in the Peggy Rockefeller Rose Garden and organize, supervise, and train staff and volunteers in these skills and tasks, including planting, pruning, deadheading, weeding, mulching, cutting back, raking, and cleaning of beds and paths. Organize and provide all tools and equipment necessary for these tasks.
- Monitor the irrigation system and watering needs of the Rose Garden and recommend and carry out adjustments and watering as necessary. Maintain and repair irrigation as necessary.
- Monitor the health and vigor of the plants in the Rose Garden. Recommend and carry out fertilization and soil improvements as required.
- Monitor for insects and diseases. Recommend and carry out plant health treatments as required.
- Working with the Senior Advisor and other staff, evaluate roses in the Rose Garden and make recommendations for additions and replacements.
- Care for tools and equipment used in the Rose Garden; report the need for repair and replacement, and keep maintenance and inventory records of such.
- Be responsible for the performance of subordinates in completing assigned tasks and for the use of all necessary tools and equipment.
- Maintain and submit daily work logs when requested.
- Four years of college education qualifying for a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent plus an additional 2 to 5 years of experience in horticulture with an emphasis on the care of roses and rose gardens.
- Skill in all aspects of general horticulture including planting and maintenance, the use of all necessary tools and equipment, and specific knowledge and experience in the care of roses and rose gardens.
- The ability to train and direct others in all aspects of general horticulture relating to roses and rose gardens.
- Must have supervisory skills and be responsible for the performance of subordinates in completing assigned tasks.
- Ability to communicate clearly and understand written and verbal communication.
- Must have NYS Pesticide Applicator’s Certification Category 3A, or be able to obtain one within 90 days of employment, and a valid Driver’s License.
- Some overtime and weekend work will be required.
Annual Salary: $52,675.
We offer excellent benefits.
The application deadline for this position is: March 31, 2013
Please indicate Foreman of Gardeners/Peggy Rockefeller Rose Garden Head Gardener, H-1528 on cover letter and e-mail along with a resume to or visit our website at http://www.nybg.org/employment/.
The New York Botanical Garden is an Equal Opportunity Employer