Seasonal Gardener interns
Frederik Meijer Gardens & Sculpture Park
Grand Rapids, Michigan
~The 132 acre Frederik Meijer Gardens & Sculpture Park serves over 600,000 visitors annually and will celebrate its 20th Anniversary in April 2015. The Horticulture intern program will provide students within a biological sciences curriculum an opportunity to learn from and work along side the professional horticulture staff while experiencing multiple aspects of a public garden and sculpture park.
We pursue local and out-of-state college and university students to fill 3 types of positions offered in this program; Seasonal Gardener I, II, III with placement based on individual academic and professional experience. All p[ositions are temporary hourly positions during the months of may through August.
We offer a beautiful working environment in SW Michigan with on the job training and experience in multiple aspects of public gardening are all part of the summer experience at Frederik Meijer gardens & Sculpture Park!
· Seasonal Gardener (intern): entry level with little to no green industry experience, currently enrolled in a green industry field of study.
· Seasonal Gardener II (intern): requires some work/hands on experience working in some facet of the green industry with a green industry field of study.
· Seasonal Gardener III (intern): Usually a junior, senior or graduate level student with a strong academic understanding of horticulture/green industry, related studies, strong experience working in the field with some volunteer and supervisory experience.
These are temporary, hourly, seasonal positions. The Gardener (intern) will assist with the maintenance of inddor and outdoor gardens and displays. The work schedule will include a rotation of weekends and holidays and involve some greenhouse, grounds maintenance and landscaping responsibilities. 40 hours per week (up to 12 – 16 weeks).
Responsibilities: (include but not limited to)
· Work with permanent horticulture staff to coordinate and carry out daily tasks.
· Ability to operate power equipment and machinery
· Supervise, train, lead volunteers & assist Guests
· Assist with maintenance and installation of indoor and outdoor gardens under the supervision of the horticulture staff (weeding, watering, planting, etc.)
· Assist with indoor and outdoor exhibits and displays as needed
· Work a rotation of some evenings, weekends, holidays
· Ability to carry out daily duties with limited supervision. Some lifting involved.
· Perform other reasonable related duties as assigned by immediate supervisor and other management staff as required
· Valid Driver’s License & exceptional driving record required
· Current University/College student in the biological sciences
· Good communication, problem solving & interpersonal skills
· GIS and/or irrigation experience a plus
· Customer Service, supervisory & public gardening experience helpful but not required
· Those seeking College/University ‘internship’ credits as a graduation requirement will be given priority
Please submit your resume, letter of interest & references via email to:
Edward McKee, Manager of outdoor Horticulture at – email@example.com
Wendy Pektunus, Manager of Indoor Horticulture at – firstname.lastname@example.org
Please visit our website at: http://www.meijergardens.org
The Frederik Meijer Gardens & Sculpture Park is an EOE.
All candidates are required to submit to our background, DMV and drug screening process.