Public Garden Career Center - View Internship
Royal Botanical Gardens, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2013
Botany Intern, Royal Botanical Gardens, Canada.
1 year internship: April 2013-March 2014
RBG’s Botany Intern will gain practical experience in the collection, identification, and curation of wild and cultivated plant specimens, and will participate in conducting botanical inventories and research on rare and endangered flora. The Intern will assist with curatorial procedures such as assessing and updating herbarium collections management procedures, updating nomenclature and taxonomy for living and non-living collections, documenting and digitizing collections, and uploadingcollections information into RBG’s botanical collections database. The successful candidate will play a role in the delivery of RBG's plant identification services to professionals and interested public and participate in botanical identification workshops. The Intern will have the opportunity to establish new scientific research studies and contribute to on-going floristic research and long-term monitoring projects.
The Botany Intern should have the following minimum qualifications and skills:
· Graduated within the last 2 years with a post-secondary degree or diploma in botany, taxonomy, horticultural science, or a relevant field (Master’s Degree would be considered an asset)
· A desire to work in a botanic garden, arboretum or other museum-like setting
· A strong knowledge of temperate flora and Canadian species-at risk.
· An understanding of plant nomenclature and taxonomy
· Experience using taxonomic keys
· Strong computer and analytical skills, including basic statistical analysis abilities
· Proven experience with record keeping and data organization
· Experience with collection management software (e.g. BG-Base®) would be an asset
· Ability to carry out physical labour and work under various environmental conditions
Application Deadline: 6 February, 2013.
Send applications to email@example.com
For more information visit: http://www.rbg.ca/files/pdf/