This position reports to the Regional Museum Director (RMD) in Trinidad and exists to help manage the facility, activities, and general operations in order to enhance History Colorado’s educational and historic preservation missions, revenue stream, marketing, and promotions. Currently the position involves working Tuesday-Saturday on a regular basis, evenings and Sundays for special tours and events, and being on call after hours and on holidays on an alternating schedule. The Assistant Museum Director meets with the RMD on a regular basis to discuss projects, events, scheduling, progress, needs, and challenges. This position is a non-classified, full time position, exempt from overtime under the Fair Labor Standards Act, reporting to the Regional Museum Director, and serving at the pleasure of the Board of Directors. This position has been exempted from the State Personnel System.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Manages the gardens and grounds in consultation with the RMD: Maintains a clean, safe, accessible and attractive environment. Maintains, plans, and upgrades the Baca-Bloom Heritage Gardens. Keeps informed about best practices for lawn and garden care. Develops and implements schedules, procedures, and manuals. Maintains tools, equipment, machinery, and irrigation systems. Recruits, trains, supervises, and evaluates laborers, volunteers, and other workers. Researches options for purchasing plants, seeds, equipment and supplies. Writes grants to fund garden upgrades and identifies new funding sources. Works with partner organizations, including the Plant Select program, Denver Botanical Gardens, CSU Extension Services, and the American Public Gardens Association.
Develops, implements and evaluates a variety of activities for people of all ages and abilities: Plans and implements on-site and outreach activities. Works with partner organizations, including schools, the farmer’s market, community gardens, and the “Let’s Move! Museums and Gardens” program. Recruits, trains and supervises volunteers and other helpers. Writes grants to fund, expand and enhance activities. Writes articles, news releases and promotional materials. Develops and gives tours and public presentations. Performs other tasks as needed.
Assists with general site operations: Takes turns being on call 24 hours per day, seven days per week. Works with contractors, vendors and temporary workers. Maintains security devices and communicates with law enforcement and monitoring services. Monitors artifacts and buildings and notifies the RMD and Facilities Services of problems. Maintains clean and orderly buildings. Submits reports by deadlines. Attends meetings in Trinidad and beyond. Identifies merchandise for the gift and book shop. Provides full customer service in the book and gift shop. Assists guests, researchers, and other customers.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS, SUBSTITUTIONS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university,
EXPERIENCE: At least one (1) year full time employment experience at a museum, historic site, garden, park, or farm, or as a landscaper or master gardener.
No substitutions will be allowed for the above qualifications.
• Experience in sales, fund-raising, and grant-writing
• Experience developing educational programs and public outreach related to historic preservation, historical gardens, or museums
• Knowledge of gardening and landscaping in tandem with knowledge of historical gardens and landscapes aligned with historical properties in Colorado
• Two (2) years of employment experience at a garden, park or farm, or as a landscaper or master gardener
• Possess basic Spanish conversational skills
• Knowledge and experience working with designing gardens and landscapes, managing budgets and purchasing items, including tracking and report generation
Additional highly desirable skills include:
• Superior interpersonal and communication skills, both written and oral
• The ability to multitask and prioritize
• Strong attention to detail and ability to adapt to frequent change
• Superior customer service
• A desire to work both independently and as part of a team
• The capability to assess urgency, display sensitivity to a variety of customers, and prioritize demands from multiple sources
• Ability to solve problems and work as a team member with limited resources
• Excellent collaboration and consensus building skills
• Ability to take initiative to accept new assignments and challenges
• Ability to multi-task and to be flexible, including working outside of established schedules
• Analytic thinking and problem solving
• Ability to independently create, revise, and implement policies and procedures
• Excellent time and project management skills
• Fluency in MS Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
Conditions of Employment:
• Must possess and maintain a valid Colorado Driver License.
• Successful completion of a criminal background check
• Must be able to lift 50 pounds, climb ladders, and be able to handle sensitive artifacts by museum standards
Please submit a letter of application (cover letter) which addresses your experience as it relates to the qualifications listed above. Also include a resume and three (3) professional references with your application material. Late or incomplete packets will not be considered. Please note that the application materials will not be returned. E-mailed and faxed applications will not be accepted.
The assessment process for this position will include a structured application evaluation. It is essential that your application and supplemental documents fully describe your experience and qualifications as they relate to the listed minimum and preferred qualifications.
HISTORY COLORADO WELCOMES APPLICATIONS FROM PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES.
HOW TO APPLY: Thank you for your interest. Submit an on-line application by clicking the link below or submit a State of Colorado Application for Announced Vacancy and all supplemental questions according to the instructions provided below. Failure to submit a complete and timely application may result in the rejection of your application. Applicants are responsible for ensuring that application materials are received by the appropriate Human Resources office before the closing date and time listed above.
IF NOT APPLYING ON-LINE, SUBMIT APPLICATION TO:
CO-Jobs is the preferred method for submitting applications to this position. If you experience issues utilizing the online application system please contact Patrick Gerity at 303-866-2136 to discuss options for submitting applications. Please be aware faxed, emailed, or regular mailed resumes will not be accepted in lieu of the online application system.
DEPARTMENT CONTACT INFORMATION:
Patrick Gerity, 303-866-2136
METHODS OF APPOINTMENT: This position is not part of the classified state personnel system.
APPLICATIONS MAY BE FILED ONLINE AT:
NON-CLASSIFIED MUSEUM ASSISTANT DIRECTOR-TRINIDAD
THE STATE OF COLORADO IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
Non-Classified Museum Assistant Director-Trinidad Supplemental Questionnaire
* 1. Please provide a brief description of your experience with sales, fund-raising, and grant writing.
* 2. Please describe your experience in developing educational and public outreach programs.
* 3. Describe your experience involving gardening and landscaping.
* Required Question