Job Title: Lead Horticulturist
Department: Horticulture, Full-Time Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Myriad Botanical Gardens is a beautiful and unique 17-acre botanical garden and urban park located in downtown Oklahoma City. In addition to outdoor gardens, the Gardens also feature a 10,000 sq. ft. tropical plant conservatory. The Myriad Gardens Foundation is the 501c (3) private nonprofit organization that manages the Myriad Botanical Gardens. It has an annual operating budget of $4 million and a staff of about 50 full and part-time employees.
In 2009-11, the Gardens underwent a complete transformation thanks to a private and public investment of nearly $45 million which enabled the Gardens to re-envision and redesign the entire outdoor and facility spaces in order to create more open and accessible downtown space with a variety of new facilities, features and garden areas to create a world-class public garden and urban park space.
The exciting design features include: new garden areas including a native plant and lakeside gardens, lakeside gardens, shady tree groves, a children’s garden, a variety of water features (of which several are interactive for children) a restaurant, a children’s playground, dog park, open air stage and band shell for the performing arts and a seasonal ice rink.
This project is a cornerstone in a larger city-wide urban renewal effort to upgrade infrastructure and add green space and a variety of recreational, athletic and cultural and tourism-related elements (including museums, parks, gardens, sports arenas and more) that enhance the quality of life for residents and to help attract more businesses and visitors to the region. Oklahoma City has gained national attention as a model for dynamic and successful urban renewal planning.
DESCRIPTION OF THE JOB:
This position is located at the Myriad Botanical Gardens and requires working both outdoors and inside the Crystal Bridge Tropical Conservatory. Employee follows specified procedures in performing single or multi-task assignments, and may work with crew of staff or volunteers or work individually.
Essential job functions may include:
· Implement proper landscape maintenance and IPM program by performing maintenance tasks related to turf and ornamental plants such as installing plants, pruning, watering, transplanting, scouting, mowing, fertilizing, etc.;
· Observing and remembering details in order to establish and meet garden project completion schedules on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis;
· Ensure the equipment is inspected, maintained, and operating regularly;
· Assist Dir. of Horticulture in purchasing supplies, based on approval;
· Assist with curatorial duties such as identification, signage, and plant records;
· Assist with educational programming and signage.
· Assist with special events (Pumpkinville, Christmas, Arts Festival, etc.) to create unique horticulture displays;
· Ensure that trash, pond filters, leaf clean-up, and other maintenance tasks are completed regularly;
· Employee must maintain a friendly, polite, service oriented demeanor and interact with the public when appropriate.
· Bachelor of Science degree in Horticulture or equivalent experience
· Ability to manage multiple tasks through use of effective organizational and time-management skills
· Professional work ethic
· Ability to work flexible hours as needed
· Ability to follow oral and written instructions
· Skill in using various types of tools
· Skill in following procedures used to repair or replace various items
· Ability to perform preventive maintenance repairs
· Ability to use work aids and hand/power tools
· Ability to work with others
· Ability to follow safety procedures, rules and regulations
· Ability to make independent decisions
· Valid driver’s license
Preferred: Landscape maintenance experience; supervisory experience; Certified Pesticide Applicators license; knowledge of irrigation systems and other water feature equipment; ability to develop staff to work as a team.
PRIMARY WORK LOCATIONS:
· Outside; continually exposed to heat, cold, humidity, dust, etc.
· Indoors in a tropical conservatory, exposed to humidity
· Exposed to plant and tree pollens, bee or wasp stings, poison oak, ivy, or sumac and/or other allergy causing agents
· Subject to working on or around slippery surfaces such as wet sidewalks, mud and oil
· Exposed to hazards due to lifting, cleaning, and using tools and/or equipment
· Will work near moving objects such as traffic and equipment
· Exposed to toxins and chemical irritants such as fertilizers, pesticides and herbicides, etc.
· Strength enough to lift, push, pull or carry objects weighing up to 95 pounds such as trash and equipment
· Stamina enough to exert oneself physically throughout the working day
· Extent flexibility and gross body coordination enough to bend, twist, or reach out to load and unload trucks; etc.
· Near and far vision enough to see oncoming traffic and to use equipment with which one is working.
· Hearing enough to understand a conversation in noisy environment and to determine location of traffic
· Speech enough to communicate clearly and distinctly with co-workers and supervisor
Position: Exempt position that reports to Director of Horticulture
Benefits: Health, Dental, Vision insurance, 401K matching
To apply: Please send a cover letter, resume, and three letters of recommendation to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Or mail to: Myriad Gardens Foundation, 301 W. Reno, OKC, OK 73102