Public Garden Career Center - View Internship
Plant Records Internship
The Holden Arboretum
Posted: Thursday, December 20, 2012
Plant Records Internship
The Holden Arboretum has a 12-month Plant Records Internship opportunity beginning in April 2013. To qualify you must be a Horticulture major or in a related field of study in an accredited, two or four-year college program. Recent graduates of such programs who are looking for hands-on work experience may also be considered.
The Plant Records Intern assists in inventorying Holden’s plant collection by:
- Assessing the overall condition of garden plants and measuring their dimensions
- Locating plantings and other features on the grounds
- Entering data into BG-Base and BG-Map databases
- Creating and attaching plant labels throughout the collection
- Gathering data on phenology (flowering, fruiting and fall foliage times in particular)
- Collecting and documenting herbarium voucher specimens from plants in the collection
- Accessioning acquired plants and de-accessioning dead or discarded plants
- Assisting in the production of maps and annual cataloging
The Intern may assist with planting or maintaining the living collection or be assigned to Holden’s Nursery operation for propagation activities and is encouraged to take advantage of our education program by attending or leading tours and classes.
Cautions and Essential Functions
- Interns may be exposed to poison ivy and poison sumac, which are common in natural and garden landscapes
- Exposure to biting insects is unavoidable
- Waterproof footwear with good ankle support and is suggested due to travel on off-trail, on wet, uneven, slippery terrain
- Perform required tasks in all weather conditions, which may include working in the rain or in temperatures ranging from 0-100 degrees Fahrenheit
- Computer proficiency
- Good vision and hearing
- Ability to understand basic instructions using the English language
- Hand and arm dexterity
- Occasional lifting and carrying of up to 20 lbs.
- Kneeling, bending, stooping, grabbing, and reaching
- Climbing ladders
- Work around herbicides and deer repellent
Review of applications with begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Qualified applicants should submit a resumé online with salary requirements at https://home.eease.com/recruit/?id=3366061
Closing Date: Until Filled
The Holden Arboretum Is an Equal Opportunity, ADA Employer and a Drug-Free Workplace