Position Title: Production Manager Hours: Full Time – Exempt/Salaried Position
Reports To: Director of Horticulture
Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Gardenis seeking a Production Manager for its Grow Native Nursery (GNN). The ideal candidate should be a self starter, energetic and well organized. The Production Manager will be direct production of native trees, shrubs, grasses, perennial and annual plants. The right candidate needs to be able to manage and cultivate a team that is focused on producing high quality plants efficiently and cost effectively. The person should be motivated and interested in developing better ways to produce the plants quickly and be willing to think outside the box to solve everyday production issues.
As the Production Manager the primary responsibility is to carry out the production plan for Grow Native Nurseries operations. Pursue contract growing opportunities and coordinate and streamline operations between two locations. The position will require travel between Claremont and Westwood. Both of these cities are located within Los Angeles County. Overall seeks to create and support a professional nursery staff. Ensures the staff is following correct protocols and policies and empowers the staff to be creative & resourceful.
Duties and Responsibilities
· Oversee and manage the entire production process ensuring only the highest quality plants are produced. Actively seek out and implement new methods or materials to improve the production process.
· Creates production plans and production schedules to support GNN yearly sales goals and needs of the living collections and research.
· Manage all employees in the Nursery Department ensuring that all work is appropriately prioritized and completed in a timely manner.
· Train and supervise the production staff according to best practice standards and policies. Performs regular evaluations of production staff.
· Develop and maintain production department standard operating procedures ensuring employees understand and follow the procedures.
· Provide monthly benchmarking reports indicating efficiency and output of production line. Develop strategies to improve overall efficiency.
· Identify all potential issues that may impact production and communicate those issues with possible solutions to the Director of Horticulture.
· Oversee and manage the entire stock growing operation at GNN ensuring only the highest quality stock plants are being grown and provided to production. Communicate and coordinate delivery, growing and receipt of stock material from contract growers.
· Assist in training and communicating safety procedures and practices to GNN staff. This includes assisting in planning and presentation of monthly safety meetings.
· Incorporate best management practices (BMP) in all nursery processes related to production and stock. Assist in developing better BMP’s throughout the nursery.
· Assists Director of Horticulture with development of nursery budgets.
· Monitors and takes appropriate action to ensure department meets budget goals.
· Processes receipts, creates and submits purchase orders.
· Responsible for securing and managing growing contracts.
· Work in partnership with the Seed Conservation Program Manager on contracts that involve both programs.
· Identifies & submits bids for growing projects.
· Works with Visitor Services to accommodate classes and tours as needed.
· Performs other duties as assigned.
This position requires an individual who can motivate, guide, and direct the production department team members while following best management practices. Strong organization skills, attention to detail, and effective time management are crucial to the success of the Production Manager.
· Bachelor’s degree in horticulture or related science and/or demonstrated appropriate work experience.
· Knowledge of California native plants and their horticultural requirements; propagation; care and maintenance; and the pests and diseases of native plants grown under nursery conditions and the appropriate biological and/or chemical control preferable.
· Must have excellent supervisory, communication and departmental leadership skills.
· Experience operating, managing and maintaining greenhouses, nursery facilities, growth chambers.
· Computer skills, preferably in BG-BASE, FileMaker, and Windows applications essential.
· Must possess or acquire a State of California Qualified Applicator Certificate.
· Must possess a valid California Driver's License.
· Must be able to stand for extended periods of a time and walk long distances to various outdoor locations.
· Must be able and willing to work outside in inclement weather conditions.
· Must be able to manoeuvre in narrow or confined places around fragile plants.
· Must possess ability to operate powered heavy equipment.
· Must be able to lift up to 30 pounds.
RSABG offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package.
Qualified candidates please email, fax or mail resume and letter of interest to:
Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden
Attention: Human Resources
1500 N College Avenue
Claremont, CA 91711
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or Fax: (909) 626-3489