Public Garden Career Center - View Job
Posted: Tuesday, December 4, 2012
Founded in 1965, Wave Hill is a 28-acre public garden and cultural center overlooking the Hudson River and Palisades, in the Riverdale section of the Bronx. Its mission is to celebrate the artistry and legacy of its garden and landscapes, to preserve its magnificent views, and to explore human connections to the natural world through programs in horticulture, education and the arts. For more information about Wave Hill, please visit www.wavehill.org.
Reporting to the Director of Visitor Services, Wave Hill seeks a Retail Manager with experience and creativity in merchandising and marketing who will maintain a high level of excellence in all aspects of the management of the Wave Hill Shop and the Perkins Visitor Center including:
Buying & Merchandise Responsibilities:
- Selection and ordering of mission related merchandise & new product development.
- Overseeing shop indoor and outdoor display with an eye for garden design and garden ornaments.
- Overseeing mail order operations.
- Plant selection and maintenance, for both indoor and outdoor space.
Fiscal Responsibilities and Sales Growth:
- Responsible for all aspects of the financial operations of the Wave Hill Shop including preparing shop sales forecasts and meeting or exceeding those goals.
- Maintaining operating budget using the open-to-buy system.
- Use of Retail Pro point of sales system to generate & present monthly sales and inventory reports and analysis.
- Responsible for accurate inventory maintenance.
Personnel Management & Communication:
- Supervise daily store and visitor center sales, operations and staffing.
- Recruit, hire, evaluate and supervise paid staff and volunteers.
- Promote and maintain a consistently high level of customer service.
- Collaborate with other departments to promote shop visibility and merchandise planning.
B.A. required with a minimum of 5 years retail management experience, with proven track record of meeting sales goals for a high volume retail operation; Must have very strong inventory management and analytical skills, and hands-on merchandising experience for the NY Metropolitan area; Basic knowledge of plants, plant care, and gardening required. Strong communication skills with the ability to engage the public is required. Must be able to work flexible schedule including weekends and holidays.
Send Resume and Cover letter with salary history by email to: email@example.com
Please no calls.