Public Garden Career Center - View Job
Guest Services and Events Coordinator
Category: Visitor Services
Greater Des Moines Botanical Garden
Des Moines, IA
Posted: Friday, October 5, 2012
The Greater Des Moines Botanical Garden, a nearly 14-acre urban garden along the Des Moines River, is preparing for a notable transformation. The Garden first opened in 1979 as the Des Moines Botanical Center, part of the Des Moines Parks & Recreation Department, with its iconic Geodesic domed conservatory. Starting in 2013 the Garden will be transformed through the 501(c)3’s leadership and fundraising with a $11.6 investment in the first phase of the garden’s master plan.
The master plan designed by Doug Hoerr of Hoerr Schaudt Landscape Architects in Chicago includes a water garden, shade tree allee, and a variety of specialty gardens. This position provides a unique opportunity to be to be part of a dynamic team during an exciting point in the garden’s history.
Guest Services and Events Coordinator Job Description
Reports to: Guest Services and Facility Manager
Function: Provides front-line service to guests and building users and maintains a high caliber visitor experience, while actively promoting the Garden’s programs and activities to cultivate repeat visitors, members, and donors
Schedule: Full-time, with mandatory weekend and holiday rotation and occasional evening hours
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily and perform other duties as assigned.
The Guest Services and Events Coordinator’s primary functions include:
· Provides front line service to our guests and building users
· Maintains a welcoming environment and demeanor while servicing guests in person, on the phone, or via email, with their admission, membership and program registrations requests
· Promotes Greater Des Moines Botanical Garden as a rental venue to external clients, takes reservations, and coordinates planned events
· Schedules and coordinates the rental and use of facility spaces for internal and external groups including facility service operations, client services, internal users, and external renters
· Serves as the primary registrar for the Greater Des Moines Botanical Garden programs and tours
· Processes and tracks payments for rental clients, program registration, and daily deposits from guest service functions
· Supporting the GDMBG staff through administrative services and office coordination
· Actively participates in the collection, recording, and analysis of visitor data statistics
· Serves as part of a cross-departmental team that creates and executes mission driven events and exhibits at the Garden
· Collaborates with the Education and Outreach Manager and the Horticulture Manager to identify opportunities for programming and interpretation for the gardens and collections
· Develops a dynamic understanding of the Greater Des Moines Botanical Garden’s membership and educational programs and the ability to effectively promote these offerings
· Effectively communicates with a diverse group of stakeholders, visitors, and patrons
· Manages multiple short-term and long-term priorities in an effective, organized manner
· Develops, maintains, and promotes positive and professional relationships with internal staff, volunteers, members, vendors, contractors, media, and the general public.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required for this position.
Education and Experience
· High School Diploma or equivalent required
· Associates or bachelors degree in a business, administration, marketing, or hospitality field preferred
· Minimum of one year of experience in a guest/ customer services function at a cultural attraction or in a corporate environment
· Event planning or hospitality services experience preferred
· Experience with point of sale and donor database software preferred
Licenses and Certifications
· Valid Drivers’ License preferred
· Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals written in the English language
· Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals
· Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public
· Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume
· Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry
· Ability to perform these operations using units of American money and weight measurement, volume, and distance
Cognitive and Reasoning Ability
· Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
· Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit, talk, hear, and use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee is frequently required to walk and stand. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include color vision and depth perception.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly exposed to wet and/or humid conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
To apply for the position
Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org