This position will be responsible for the daily operation of the Massey Greenhouse complex, including greenhouses, shade houses, lathe houses, and outdoor growing areas. Tasks include, but are not limited to, propagation of woody and herbaceous plant material and maintaining permanent non-hardy plant collections such as orchids, cacti, succulents, and various tropical plants.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Participate in garden-wide events, exhibitions, and group-projects as directed by Supervisor- position will be expected to take a lead role in Orchids Galore seasonal exhibition
· Application of pesticides, biological controls, and fertilizers as required for best growth of plants using IPM approach as required and directed
· Use and preventive maintenance of assigned equipment, tools, vehicles and irrigation systems
· Supervision and training of assigned paid and unpaid staff
· Coordinates effectively with contractors hired for outsourced services (e.g., irrigation)
Other Duties and Responsibilities
Physical Demands / Working Conditions:
· Must be able to lift 50 pounds repeatedly
· Must be able to bend, squat, kneel, stand and walk for extended periods of time
· Must be able to work indoors in conservatory conditions and outdoors in all seasonal extremes
Note: Duties described above, other duties and physical demands have been identified as essential functions as required by the Americans with Disabilities Act.
· Must be able to obtain a Virginia Pesticide Applicator’s License within the first four (4) months of employment
· Experience operating and troubleshooting Argus or similar computerized greenhouse environmental control system
· Time management skills and the ability to prioritize tasks
· Ability to communicate effectively with people at all levels
· Comfortable interacting with garden visitors
· Organizational Skills
· Bachelors or Associate’s degree in horticulture preferred
· Bachelors or Associate’s degree in landscape maintenance / construction or related field might be considered based on experience
· A minimum of five (5) years of experience in greenhouse production with an emphasis on growing orchids preferred
· Other combinations of education/experience appropriate to the job will be considered
For more information please contact Karen Clowers at email@example.com.