Public Garden Career Center - View Job
Major Gifts Officer
Missouri Botanical Garden
St. Louis, Missouri
Posted: Tuesday, September 25, 2012
Missouri Botanical Garden is a center for botanical research and science education, as well as an oasis in the city of St. Louis. The Garden offers 79 acres of beautiful horticultural display, including a 14-acre Japanese strolling garden, Henry Shaw's original 1850 estate home, and
one of the world's largest collections of rare and endangered orchids.
Summary of the position:
The Major Gifts Officer manages and improves a portfolio of major individual prospects and coordinates projects, events, and activities in support of the major gift enterprise. Works with current Garden donors and proactively identifies, qualifies, cultivates, solicits, and stewards a portfolio of individuals in support of the Garden’s mission.
Significant time will be focused on establishing and building key relationships throughout the St. Louis region and beyond.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manages a portfolio of approximately 200 - 300 current donors and prospects, primarily comprised ofindividuals and family foundations; solicits individuals for annual, capital, special project and deferred gifts, as assigned; analyzes donor base and giving using Raiser’s Edge.
- Coordinates prospect research activities and develops strategies in cooperation with division management for
identifying, cultivating, and soliciting major individual gifts of $10,000 and above; assumes a lead role in setting
appointments with major gift prospects, conducting the meetings alone or as part of a staff team, and
coordinating necessary follow-up.
- Participates in planned giving program promotion and cultivation activities inclusive of seminars for financialadvisors and potential donors, as well as preparation and mailing of planned giving program newsletters and other communications.
- Conducts Garden tours for donors and prospects as required; participates in fund raising meetings and supportevents at the Garden’s main campus and off-site locations; completes other duties as assigned to achieve current departmental goals and objectives.
Qualifications and/or Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Marketing, Finance, Non-Profit Management, or related field required. Anequivalent combination of skills, education and experience may be considered.
- Minimum of three (3) to five (5) years’ experience successfully leading annual and major gifts fund raisingefforts, inclusive of prospect research, solicitation, and records management required.
- Advanced working knowledge and understanding of fund raising principles and practices; documented successin individual gift fund raising.
- Proficient experience using database software programs (i.e., Raiser’s Edge) required.
- Ability to possess and maintain a valid driver’s license and chauffeur’s license.
Application Process: To be considered, apply on-line and email a cover letter and resume to
Link to comprehensive posting and job application: http://www.mobot.org/jobs/mbgjobs_mrl.asp#L065
Missouri Botanical Garden Website: www.mobot.org
Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer