Texas Discovery Gardens
Job Description: Greenhouse Assistant
Reports to: Horticulture Director
Status: Full time 40 Hrs, Non-exempt
Salary: $10.00 per hour
This position will perform horticultural maintenance and plant production in the TDG greenhouses and nursery, TDG gardens and water features. Also assist with development and on-going care of botanical exhibits and related special events. Will supervise and coordinate greenhouse volunteers upon successful completion of training by the Director of Horticulture.
Duties and Functions:
Upon completion of successful training by the Director of Horticulture this position will assist in:
* Maintaining 5,000 square feet of greenhouse production space and 2,500 square feet of nursery area.
* Perform preventative maintenance and inventory control of greenhouse tools, equipment, and supplies
* Supervises the activity of greenhouse volunteers
* Participate in training/meetings as required
* Flexibility in work schedule for evening or weekend commitments
* Performs other duties as assigned
Education & Experience:
* Associates Degree in a related major, or High School Education or GED
* One year of greenhouse plant production preferred but not required
* Valid Texas Department Class C Drivers License or ability to acquire license within six months of employment
* Should be personable, able to work with people of diverse backgrounds. A friendly, helpful, and positive attitude is imperative!
* Ability to stand/walk for extended periods of time
* Tolerance of primarily an outdoor work environment. Exposure to indoor and outdoor environmental conditions, including extreme temperature fluctuations, high humidity, dust, and allergens
* Exerting up to 100 pounds of force occasionally, and/or 50 pounds of force frequently and/or up to 20 pounds of force constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects
* Ability to perform physically strenuous work assignments on a regular basis
* Ability to follow and give specific written and oral instructions with close attention to detail
* Knowledge of greenhouse maintenance tools and equipment and their use preferred but not required
* Knowledge of ornamental and/or native plant material would be helpful.
* Familiar with horticultural tasks such as watering, pruning, fertilizing, planting, transplanting.
* Knowledge of plant propagation methods preferred but not required.
* Knowledge of greenhouse sanitation practices, pest and disease control through IPM strategies preferred but not required.
* Ability to schedule, propagate and grow ornamental crops preferred but not required.